My testimony of freedom from sleeping disorder:
I had a sleeping problem for many years. I used prescribed drugs such as Ambien and then when it lost its affect, I turned to over-the-counter medicines such as Nyquil, Tylenol Pm, Advil pm, Benadryl and whatever else I could find. Those pills lost their power after a while. They slowed down my metabolism and increased hunger and food cravings. I gained weight and ended up sleepless.
After all of this, one day, I was having my quiet time with the Lord, and He spoke to me gently that He was not pleased with me trying everything but Him. I realized at that moment that I never surrendered my sleep to the Lord. I repented from seeking help from anywhere else but Him. I told the Lord, “Forgive me, Lord Jesus, for turning to all these chemicals and putting all these pills into my temple. From now on I will seek You as my only source to sleep. If You don’t give me sleep, then I will pray and praise You. If I can’t sleep, then I will intercede for others and nations. I will read Your Word. If I can’t sleep all night, then it will be an all-night prayer meeting with You. But I trust in You that I will sleep like a baby most of the time. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.”
That was a turning point in my life in regards to sleep. Of course there were days I had a difficult time sleeping. Then that would turn into a prayer meeting with Jesus. I would say, “Since I am not sleepy, Lord, until you give me sleep, I will pray.”
Testimony of a lady with insomnia in her 60s in Denmark:
Over the years, I found myself praying for others to have peaceful sleep at night, and people started giving praise reports and testimonies of how God restored their sleep.
On one occasion I was preaching in Denmark at a big conference. During the altar call, a lady in her 60s came and started telling me her prayer request in Danish. I told the translator to not translate, because by the grace of God, her prayer request was revealed to me. I held her face in my hand and I rebuked the sleeping disorder she has been suffering with most of her life. And also I prayed for peace in her heart. Because the root of the sleeping problem is lack of peace. I saw tears were rolling down on her cheeks. I hugged her and she left.
The next day, I was preaching at the same place as well. When I made an altar call, the same lady showed up in the crowd. This time I requested the translator tell me what she was saying. This lady was full of joy. She kept hugging me with such excitement. She said she slept like a baby without any medication. She was completely set free from insomnia.
Causes of Sleeplessness
- Lack of peace
- Hurt / Emotional wounds – abuse, people’s mean cruel comments, death of a loved one (deep grief)
- Thinking of negative about events, people, movies or news
- Upset / Angry – angry at wife, husband, parents, siblings, others
- Fear: fear of night, fear/ worry of tomorrow, fear of terror
- Fear of evil presence in your room or house (All fear needs to be rebuked with 2 Timothy 1:7 “God did not give us spirit (demon) of fear, but love, power and a sound mind.”)
- Nightmares: These are from the enemy and are demonic. You need to pray for these. There must be an open door to the demonic when it comes to nightmares. Seek the Holy Spirit to show you the open doors. Confess, Repent and receive your deliverance from nightmares. If you are very often having nightmares, you need to pray prayer of deliverance.
- Worry and anxiety: financial, life, relational or work related worries
- Other Attacks at night: Breathing problems or stopping breathing (Spirit of death, attack of Jezebel, opened door to witchcraft)
- Rewinding or replaying past, or any event that bothered you
- Mind list – overwhelming tasks
- Extreme busy-ness
- Physical pain: Back pain, neck pain, pain due to an accident (Prayer for healing first)
“Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!” He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!””
Rebuke the winds and the waves in your life in Jesus name.
“Dear Lord, I pray for a good night’s sleep under the Blood covering of Jesus Christ. I proclaim that I am a child of the Living God and a child of Light. Because of that there is no darkness can dwell in me or around me. I rebuke the winds and the waves in my mind hindering my sleep. I invite You Jesus Prince of Peace into my mind and heart to give me a peaceful and a restful sleep in Your Name I pray name. Amen.”
Enemy wants to steal even our sleep
Why? Because sleeplessness effects our health, joy and productivity.
“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
How the devil can steal our sleep?
He steals our sleep by throwing so many negative thoughts at us, bringing up the past, bringing up the problems we are facing, magnifying our problems, putting fear in us and more.
Peace is the major cure for a perfect sleep
These three work together for a good night sleep: FAITH – TRUST – PEACE
“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.”
- Pray scriptures – Psalm 91, Psalm 27, Psalm 121, Psalm 23 (more scriptures are provided at the end of this study guide)
- Listening to the Word of God or Gospel music (instrumental may help better)
- Proclaiming the Blood of Jesus over your sleep and household
- Praying – Surrendering my sleep to LORD Jesus
- Natural: 1) no caffeine/ decaf drinks, 2) eat less before sleep, 3) limit electronics: TV, phones, iPad, 4) don’t watch tense, action, thrillers, scary or tragic movies, 5) exercise: walk for 15-30 minutes in the late afternoon or at night
“A clear conscious makes a soft pillow.”
Scriptures on Sleep
“When you lie down, you will not be afraid. When you rest, your sleep will be peaceful.”-Proverbs 3:24
“I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.”
“In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.” Psalm 4:8
“The LORD grants sleep to those he loves.” Psalm 127:2
“Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping.” Matthew 8:24 NIV
“But whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm.”-Proverbs 1:33
“Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure.”-Psalm 16:9
“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.”-Isaiah 26:3
“And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”-Philippians 4:7
“God will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you— the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm— he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.” Psalm 121:3-8