Holy Spirit Prayer Guide
- Who is the Holy Spirit?
- The Holy Spirit is one of the 3 Persons in the Trinity (God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit). He is the Advocate given to us when Jesus ascended to be with our Heavenly Father (John 14:26). He lives inside of every Believer!
- He is mentioned in nearly every book of the Bible as the Spirit, Spirit of God, Holy Spirit, and Spirit of the Lord.
- What roles does He play in my life?
- Revealer of Scripture
- Best Friend
- How do I receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?
- The disciples first received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit after Jesus left to be with God in Heaven. They were all praying in a room when a mighty, rushing wind from heaven filled the house they were in. And the Holy Spirit fell on them like fire on their tongues and they began to speak in unknown languages. This was the first baptism of the Holy Spirit (baptism of fire).
- We typically receive this Baptism of Fire after salvation. We have to invite Holy Spirit into our lives, just like we invited Jesus into our hearts at salvation. You have to repent of all sins, ask Jesus to cleanse you with His blood, and then press into the Spirit, allowing Holy Spirit complete access to your body, spirit, and soul.
Prayer for the Baptism of the Holy Spirit
Dear Lord Jesus,
I humble myself and come before you now. You are my Lord and Savior, and I thank You for saving me. I repent of all sins that stand between You and me right and I ask that You cleanse me with Your precious blood, Jesus. May Your Holy presence cover me right now.
Lord, I ask that You baptize me in the Holy Spirit. Your word says to ask and I shall receive (Luke 11:9). I believe that this baptism is a gift from God and I can ask for it by faith in Jesus Christ. Holy Spirit, have Your way in me. I give You complete access to all of me and invite You now. Thank You, Lord Jesus, for this baptism of fire. Amen.
Scriptures About Holy Spirit
“And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.”
“As soon as Jesus (the Son) was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God (the Holy Spirit) descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from heaven (the Father) said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
“But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”
“But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: about sin, because people do not believe in me; about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.”
“But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.”
“When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.”
“God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact. Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.”
“Peter replied, ‘Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.’”
“Because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.”
“In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.”
“And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.”
“The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him– the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of might, the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the LORD.”
“At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, ‘I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.’”