Idolatry is the worship of idols. This is when you have a strong desire, admiration or love for someone or something.
Colossians 3:5-6 explains it perfectly! See what idols look like and why we should be careful of them:
“Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of these the wrath of God is coming.”
Idols are any person, place or physical thing that you love more, enjoy more and pursue more than God. The Bible tells us to love the Lord our God with all of our hearts, souls and with all our strength. If we love something more than God, that is the act of coveting.
Coveting is the act of craving, desiring, longing for and loving something more than God. Coveting and idolatry go hand in hand.
When you put your trust in other people or things, you will end up disappointed in some way. But when you put your trust in God, you will never be disappointed!
Types of Idols:
- People / Relationships
- Self (Social Status, outward appearance, intelligence, etc.)
- Entertainment (TV, video games, movies, books
- Material Items
- World (Job, Career, politics, etc.)
Prayer to Repent for Idolatry:
Dear Lord Jesus,
I humbly come before you now. I repent of worshiping anything more than I worship and love you. Forgive me for putting other people and things before spending time with you and seeking you more. Cleanse me with your blood and remove any soul ties I may have with these idols in my life. Break every chain in my life that was attached to idols. I put every idol down today: ______________________________________________ (list names of idols).
I give you all of my heart, mind, soul and attention. Take me deeper into your Presence right now, Lord. Show me who you are in a new way. I choose to serve and worship you, King Jesus. You and only you in Jesus Mighty Name. Amen.
- Exodus 20:3-5a “Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:…”
- Matthew 6:33 “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things [food, shelter and clothing] shall be added unto you.”
- Colossians 3:17 “And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.”
- 1 John 2:15 “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.”
- Leviticus 19:4 “Do not turn to idols or make metal gods for yourselves. I am the Lord your God.”
- Leviticus 26:1 “Do not make idols or set up an image or a sacred stone for yourselves, and do not place a carved stone in your land to bow down before it. I am the Lord your God.”
- Deuteronomy 12:3 “Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and burn their Asherah poles in the fire; cut down the idols of their gods and wipe out their names from those places.”
- 1 Chronicles 16:26 “For all the gods of the nations are idols, but the Lord made the heavens.”
Download complete prayer guide here: https://goo.gl/vqAy93